Maurice Dickerson began operating as a haulage contractor in 1925 and in 1937 he founded M Dickerson Ltd.
The company initially operated from premises in Gloucester Street, Cambridge, now part of the Castle Park complex, behind Shire Hall. In the late 1930s some of his main contracts were for the Government, hauling materials for airfield construction. During the war, the company was kept busy carrying bombs and munitions from the Midlands to the East Anglian docks. By the end of the war, the company fleet of 5-ton lorries had increased from 10 to 32. In 1948, the present site at Waterbeach (off the A10, north of Cambridge) was bought for the extraction of sand and gravel. During this time the company also operated a petrol station, car sales and vehicle recovery service from Teversham Corner Garage on Newmarket Road.
In 1960 Maurice Dickerson retired and handed over the reins to his son John. The company continued to grow and in 1964 moved from Gloucester Street to a new three acre site at King's Hedges Road in Cambridge. During the 1960s and 70s the company demolished the majority of East Anglia's disused airfields and produced a recycled material which was used in road building. Concrete from the perimeter of Wattisham airfield, for example, was used to build the Ipswich by-pass and bridge over the River Orwell. In 1969 Donarbon Ltd was formed as a skip hire business and to landfill the void that was left by the mineral extraction at Waterbeach. The company quickly outgrew the site at Kings Hedges Road and in 1970 they moved to the present headquarters on the Waterbeach site. Frimstone Ltd was bought in 1975 to operate sites to serve the Norfolk market.
Sadly, In 1999 John Dickerson died. However, the group remained in the control of the Dickerson family while being run by his son-in-law Mark Davenport. The Group of companies continued to grow with Donarbon winning the Cambridgeshire County Council Waste PFI contract, Frimstone acquiring the Holton and West Raynham Airfield contracts and M Dickerson purchasing Midland Lime. In February 2010 Frimstone moved into a purpose built office adjacent to their previous accommodation.
In September 2010 the group of companies was sold. Donarbon was purchased by AmeyCespa, while Mark & Rachel Davenport (John Dickerson's daughter and son-in-law) purchased Frimstone and M Dickerson entirely. From 1st January 2011 the Frimstone and M Dickerson businesses merged into one business trading under the Frimstone name.